Journal of Cyber Policy, June 25, 2019, with comments by Saurabh Sharma
A new survey from Sikich reveals that 50% of manufacturers responding confirmed their organization suffered a data breach in the last year.
According to Saurabh Sharma, VP of Business Development, Virsec Systems, “Overall, our industrial sector is poorly prepared for today’s cyberattacks. While most competitive firms have invested in advanced manufacturing equipment, too few have extended this investment beyond basic security.
Many also hang on to an outdated notion that their systems are effectively isolated or air-gapped. With today’s exploding industrial IoT, and connected systems, no businesses are immune from having data stolen or encrypted for ransom, or having sensitive industrial equipment disabled.”
Additional Report* Findings:
- 33% or fewer companies use automation extensively, and most companies reported employing some automation
- 27% of executives expect a U.S. recession within the next 12 months
- 50% of companies said they’d suffered a data breach or cyber attack involving their computer systems or networks in the last 12 months
- Nearly 50% of companies reported selling their products through Amazon and other e-Commerce companies
- 39% of companies reported sales exceeded their expectations
- 37% said sales had fallen short of expectations
Read full 50% of Manufacturing Breached in 2018 article.
Newsletter: Latest issue
Video: 2-Minute Virsec Overview-Protecting Against Advanced Cyberattacks